We are nearing the end of the first month of 2012 and let’s all be honest, maybe we aren’t doing as well as promised with our New Year’s resolutions. Although we all may be climbing out from the holiday guilt of eating and drinking and being merry … a lot… some of us still may be doing… some. Below are some helpful suggestions of ways to reduce the cocktail calories.
Frosty Light Margaritas
Kosher salt for the glasses’ rims
1/2 cup juice from Mexican limes or fresh limes
1/4 cup Tequila Cazadores or Milagro
1 1/2 tablespoons of Cointreau or Aquavera (orange-flavored liqueur)
2 1/2-3 tablespoons superfine sugar
12 ice cubes
1. Run a lime wedge around the edge of each glass. Then dip rims into a saucer filled with the Kosher salt.
2. Put the remaining ingredients into a blender; blend until the ice cubes are chipped and the mixture becomes frothy.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared glasses; garnish with lime.
1 teaspoon sugar
3 sprigs mint
1.5 ounces light Bacardi Rum
1. Put the sugar in a highball glass (or any 8-12 ounce glass) and squeeze 1/2 of a small lime.
2. Toss squeezed lime in glass.
3. Add mint sprigs and muddle for a moment.
4. Add Bacardi Rum, handful of ice, and fill with chilled soda water.
All three of these cocktails are approximately 150 calories and simply delicious. There are also light beers available, but calorie for calorie you will may find that you will enjoy one of these fun cocktails because they are packed with more flavor. Remember, most of the calories in cocktails come from the high sugar mixers, so the fresher the drink the easier it is to drink to your health!